Thursday, April 26, 2012

Another handmade flower tutorial

This week at RAQ's Challenge on the Cricut forum, we were challenged to make our own embellishments.  I always enjoy making flowers and trying new techniques.  So this week I combined a Tim Holtz tissue tape flower with a fabric flower that I cut using my Cricut.

Here is the finished product



I started with the tissue tape flower.  Tim Holtz has a great (and simple) video that you can follow Tim Holtz Tissue Tape Flower.  For my flower, I cut a one inch circle from scraps and started the process of pinching the tape around the circle. 

Once that was completed, I created the flower base.  I used Cindy Loo cartridge for cutting the fabric (which I ironed on heat bond interfacing).  I cut six sets of the loops, which I then stamped with Ranger Sepia permanent ink, using a stamp that looks like old writing. It's okay if the edges are frayed, it is supposed to have a vintage feel.



I then proceeded to hand baste the fabric loops to create the flower.  It is really easy and quick to do. And you simply continue from one set of loops to the next.  For this flower, since I was combining the tissue tape, I only used 3 sets of loops.


 I then did the same hand basting with old lace that I had and create a circle for the base.



And voilà, here is the thank you card for my DD to give her manager.

Paper: K&Company TC Blossomwood
Card base Recollections
Top portion of card - embossed with Tim Holtz, stained with Vintage photo distress ink
Punch - Martha Stewart
Base of the "merci" frame inked with Antique Linen distress ink
Cricut cuts: Ornamental Iron 2 for "merci" frame" and Cindy Loo for the flower base
Embellishments - ribbon, button, pearls and gems

Hope you try making your own flowers too!


No comments:

Post a Comment